What are Industrial Valves?
Industrial valves are devices used to regulate the flow of liquids, gases, and slurries. This is done via pipes and other passageways by opening, closing, and partially obstructing the passage or pipe.
With applications becoming more and more specific and complicated, valves have evolved into nine major types to suit the different requirements of the customers. Buying valves from a trusted valve casting manufacturer to prevent leakage as good services come with good manufacturers.
Types of Industrial Valves with Their Application and Suitability
Depending on the functions, valves are classified into the following types —
The ball valve is part of the quarter-turn valve family; its distinct feature is its hollow ball-shaped disc that acts to stop or start the flow of the substances. It is one of the quickest valves since it needs a quarter turn to open or close.
● suitable for fluid, gaseous and vapour applications that need bubble-tight shutting down.
● Though it is primarily used for low pressure high, high-temperature applications apply to ball valves with metal seats.
Also, as part of the quarter-turn valve family, the distinct feature of the butterfly valve is flat to a concave disc that attaches to the valve stem. Positioned in the middle of the valve with the stem bored into it or attached at one side, the disc blocks media flow when the valve is closed, while the branch adds support to the disc.
In recent years, valve casting manufacturers have experienced a considerable hike in demand for butterfly valves as they are used extensively in the automation, oil & gas industries.
● These valves are generally used in water and gas applications where there is a need to isolate or interrupt media flow.
● Suitable for processes that use large diameter pipes.
● Suitable for slurries, cryogenics, and vacuum services.
The uniqueness of the valve lies in the linear movement of the disk. The disc is either gate or wedge-shaped, which affects the on and off mechanism. Though it is possible to use it as a throttling valve, it is not advisable since the disc may get damaged by media vibration.
● Gate valves are suitable for shut off/on valves for any application.
● These valves are great for wastewater applications and neutral liquids. Gases between -200C and 700C with a maximum 16 bar pressure can use gate valves.
● Used for slurries and powder media.
Check valve, also known as a non-return valve, relies on internal pressure, in place of outside action, for opening and closing and prevents the backflow of substances. Valve casting manufacturers use aluminum, copper, gray iron, brass, carbon steel, 3% nickel-iron, etc., to make these valves.
● Used in applications pumps and compressors to prevent backflow.
● Used in feed pumps in steam boilers.
● Chemical and power plants have a variety of processes that need check valves.
● Used in places where there is a combination of gasses in one pipeline.
Being a part of the linear motion valve family, the globe valve looks precisely like a globe with a plug-type disc. Globe Valves are not only a great turn off/on valve but also have excellent throttling capabilities. Like gate valves, the globe valve disc moves up unobstructedly to allow media flow and is a superb valve alternative for applications that do not require high-pressure drops.
● Used in places where the primary concern is leakage.
● These valves are generally Used in high point vents and low point drains
● Working when the pressure drops is not a concern.
● Used in cooling water systems, feedwater systems, chemical feed systems, extraction drain systems and the like.
Pressure Release Valve
Pressure relief valves are made to release or limit pressure from the pipelines to maintain the pressure balance and avoid build-up. It is also known as a pressure safety valve. The primary purpose of these valves is to protect the equipment in an overpressured event or to increase pressure when there is a drop.
● Practical when backpressure is not a significant consideration.
● Seen in boiler applications and pressure vessels.
Nowadays, valve casting manufacturers use a variety of materials to make these valves to satisfy customers’ needs. One can buy industrial Valves at affordable price rates.